Finding A Social Group That Is Right For You.
If you want to improve your social skills, extend your comfort zone and ultimately overcome your shyness you are going to need to take action and meet new people. The easiest way to do this is …
Find others who share you passion.
This has many advantages:
1. Conversation topics.
You automatically have many conversation topics because everyone shares the same passion as you. If you are like me and knowing what to say is sometimes a challenge having ready-made topics is a blessing. Especially initially when you are still unsure about the situation.
2. Strong knowledge, Strong confidence.
Because this is a topic you are passionate about, there is no doubt that you will have a good knowledge in this area. This can be very helpful in giving you the confidence you need to talk and share information with others.
3. Gets you talking.
One thing I have noticed is that shy people, myself included, can become quite talkative when they are speaking on a topic they are very passionate about.
4. Common ground with others.
Because everyone in the group shares the same passion or interest there is already a common ground. This means there is a high chance you will have other things in common. This is important for developing friendships
5. You can share your passion.
It is always fun to share your passion with other people who share your excitement.
So where can you find these groups?
You can look around your community for ideas of what groups exisit and which group would suite you best. Here are some ideas; - Sign up for a evening class.
- Volunteering your time for a charity you support.
- Join a community group. This can range from signing up to play or coach a sports team, to joining a book group, to joining a fan
- If you are a parent, or about to be; join a parents group. These groups introduce you to others who are going throught he same experience as you. Not only can you exchange tips and moral support, but you can develop some great friends.
- Join a gym.
So if you are serious about overcoming shyness and getting rid of your social anixety you will need to take action and expand your confort zone. The best way to do this is find a social group that shares your passions. So have a look around your community or even search online to see what groups are available in your area.